Monday, July 6, 2009

Yes, I Did...

I ran away from home... but only for a few days. My Bro drove me to Ft. Worth Friday night for a visit with our baby brother and his sweet wife. Ben had called Wednesday and said why don't you run down this weekend. I told him it hurt yet to drive and I was trying to be mindful of what the doctor said about if it hurts, don't do it. Well, he called back Thursday and said he was going to twist my arm a bit. Who wants to add injury to injury?

He was off Friday through Sunday and was kicking on the smoker and the grill Saturday with the kids and grandkids coming to visit, swim and eat, and eat, and eat some more. I will say that Ben can smoke up some good meat. And he and Diane, his wife, can both grill a hamburger and hot dogs. Then there are the things for the sides... My niece's husband is an excellent cook and made up a big batch of baked beans, my niece is no slouch in the kitchen either and she made buttermilk pie. The grocery deli made the potato salad, but Ben's oldest son Wil made homemade cookies, chocolate chip-oatmeal-peanut butter cookies. Oh.my.goodness. I felt like I had been stuffed by the taxidermist. You want to talk about feeling like a waddle princess.

I just sat around and groaned. From too much good food instead of pain. It was almost worth the drive down. Ribs, smoked sausage and all the stuff to stuff along with them. Well, yeah, it really was worth the discomfort from the drive. I mean, after all, what else do I have to do but pull weeds and water and sit around and read blogs and write a bit and just recuperate?

Thanks Ben for twisting my arm. Thanks Diane for making sure I was comfortable and keeping me from doing stuff I shouldn't be doing. And a major thank you to my Bro for doing the driving. I felt like I was the star of the old Greyhound bus commercial... Leave the driving to us.

It was great.

12 comments:

Hit 40 said...

How wonderful. Family rocks!! Good karma to your bro for giving you a lift in spirits.

Evansmom said...

I can just about taste the ribs! Yum. Nice that your brother drive you. Sometimes brother's do know best, don't they? (I can say this because I know my brothers will never read this!)

It sounds like a great time.

Laura ~Peach~ said...

welcome home and so glad you had a safe trip and tons of fun!!!!!!!

joanne said...

I was wondering why you were MIA. Glad you had a great time and that the pain was not so painful..jj

Unknown said...

That is great that you were with family and enjoyed your time. Memories made and happiness everywhere! Awesome.... Proud of you taking it easy as the dr. told you too! You will be up before long running a marathon!

Twisted Fencepost said...

Don't ya just love it when family steps in and takes care of things?!
They knew you were going stir crazy sitting around with nothing to do.
But buttermilk pie? Hmmmm....I don't know about that.

hetty said...

Glad you had a wonderful stuffed weekend! Good to hear that your family is looking after you. I have never heard of buttermilk pie. Is that a local dessert?

farmlady said...

Dear Waddleing Princess,
Glad you had such a wonderful time. That's some family food fest.
Wish I had a brother. Always wanted one. He sounds like a good'un.
What's Buttermilk Pie?

Cindy said...

I loved the "waddle princess" comment!

Anonymous said...

You have a good brother. I'm glad you were able to get out and eat some great food. That's what family is for!

Terry said...

Howdy
What a great way to enjoy running away from home :)
So glad you had a good time.
Sometimes you just gotta get up and go traveling to know what your missing out on.
Sounds like it was good for you !
Take care and have a relaxing rest of the week.
Happy Trails

Robynn's Ravings said...

I'm so glad there are just as many (if not MORE!) people who love you in real life as in Blogsville. Do they know how lucky they are to have you?!