Wednesday, July 22, 2009

A Farmer I’m Not…

I have been experimenting with garden stuff that likes the red dirt.  I’m finding out that potatoes like our dirt, squash seem to love it, bush beans, not so much, pole beans, yep, and black eyed peas love it.  Okra does good and tomatoes, well, the jury is still out on them. the yard early July 09 026 the yard early July 09 027 the yard early July 09 036 sunflower 050

Cucumbers, I know if we find the right breed they’ll grow and I need to plant another batch of radishes because the first ones are all gone and they were good.  I should have planted them two weeks ago, but see the title of this post. At least I’m learning a thing or two…

I tried cabbage and broccoli.  Here’s those results:

7.16.09 010 Gorgeous head  

7.16.09 009 not so much so.7.16.09 012 almost broccoli7.16.09 011 but not quite.

I thought at first I was feeding the rabbits with my broccoli, but then saw Colorado potato bugs on my potatoes and realized they were getting my cabbage and broccoli and the squash besides the potatoes.

Then came the squash bugs.  So now I’ll have to say I’m not an organic farmer or even an organic gardener because I went to the farm store and got the baddest chemicals I could to combat them.  I became the g.i. Jane of gardening.  I will fight for my few morsels of food.  I figure I can wash my food pretty good and I don’t like sharing with bugs. 

The rabbits… well, they provide exercise for the girls.  They have fun chasing them and the rabbits think it’s fun, too, since they know the girls can’t catch them.  They will tease them and then take off, schnauzers hot on the trail and low to the ground.  Then when they get too far ahead the rabbits will stop… hop a hop or two back towards the girls to make sure they don’t lose interest and, once again the chase is on.

It takes so little to entertain this Gardner that is not a farmer but working on being a gardener and a better Gardner.

14 comments:

Sharon Rose said...

Helen, can we have okra and black eyed peas for supper? That really sounds good. . . with some buttermilk cornbread!
I'll bring a chicken over to fry southern style. . . whattaya say?

Aleta said...

Wow - looks like you have a green thumb. Not me, whatever grows in my garden does it by it's on will! Lol

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

I would be HONORED to have you there by myside as I TRY to read that letter!!

Hallie :)

Mary Ellen said...

Every time you post pictures of your garden I get terribly jealous. Most of my garden was lost during the great rainy season of 09. If I can figure out how to get there, you might have to send out some dogs to chase me away.

darsden said...

me thinks thou protest too much. you are a farmer my dear. you have beautiful veggies in my eyes. looks like a very healthy garden to me. I bet the bunnies like your garden too LOL. Looks great Helen, now make me a salad woman!

Tina said...

I think your garden looks great! I am intrigued by your Okra growing-I put some in because i love it fried and in gumbo but what else do you do with it? It is growing really well up here in the northwest and I frankly didn't expect it to.

Its funny-my bush beans are growing great but my pole ones aren't happy.

I think I have potato bugs too. I haven resorted to chemicals yet but believe me I agree that one can only go so far before chemical weapons are needed to win the veg. My grandpa used to pick and squish them between his thumb and fore finger by hand. His hand were always yellowy tinged in the summer.

joanne said...

Oh Helen I think the garden looks fantatic. You want to see a crappy garden? Come on over this way...ack, even my sunflowers look bad. My gosh, who can't grow a darn sunflower for pity sake? Well, anyway, your garden looks rather healthy considering all the chemicals you rained on it! Looking forward to the harvest and the dinner Pastor Sharon has in store...take care and it's always a treat hearing from you..;p

Lonicera said...

What do you do with all that lovely looking veg Helen? I know it's brilliant for you, but judging from your pictures, there could be enough wind generated there to drive a windmill... Or do you have lots of grateful neighbours? Can't help feeling envious - I love home-grown veg, though you're on your own with the okra I'm afraid. For flavour I'd sooner cook cardboard.
Caroline

Stacy Uncorked said...

Your garden looks great! Ours didn't make it because of the rabbits and the skunks (and probably the voles). At least my grape vines and fruit trees are still good to go...apparently the skunks must have cleaned out the grubs (along with our corn) since we at least don't have the invasion of the Japanese Beetles this year. Of course it could be because of the Bayer Feed and Protect I gave all the vines and trees before we left on vacation... ;) If the rabbits would just leave my lettuce and cabbage alone, I'd be a happy girl. But apparently they're happy rabbits. :)

Evansmom said...

Your garden looks so good, it makes me wish I could garden but I truly fit "A Farmer I'm Not". You, on the other hand, do not fit that description.

Anonymous said...

Helen, I am liking your veggie pics! Along with good gardening, you are a good photographer too! Of course you have sprinkled in some great humor and I love the visit here...Will return to see the corn progress...
PS..the one cabbage looks GREAT..

Robynn's Ravings said...

I'm growing weeds this year and they're doing GREAT!! If you need any tips, let me know. Now, if you're lookin' for edibles, well, I'm not your woman. Yours look terrific, Helen!

Katidids said...

We just solved our rabbit in the garden issue's....find a local rabbit breeder and get rabbit poo from them...and just spread it around the edge of your garden. Rabbits will not dine in another rabbits cafe'!..check with your local 4H etc...someone in the area has them, and would love to have another spot to take the poo! Works wonders & is good for the garden

Twisted Fencepost said...

I think your garden looks great! I have been gone for a week and I'm skeered to go see how it's doing.
I'll bet it is hilarious watching the girls while the rabbits tease them.
That last line.....could be confusing. But I just think like Helen and it all makes sense. tee hee