Sunday, July 26, 2009

Knee High Corn…

Or maybe a bit higher. I’ve really seen a lot of change in the corn this last week. The good day corn, as you can see, is getting going. The bad day corn is trying. Real hard. And I talk sweet to both rows of corn. Oh, and for those of you who asked, the variety of corn is Tipper’s and her family’s favorite, Silver Queen, a white corn that’s a sweet corn.

corn 7 26 09 good day corn 7 26 09 bad day corn 2

The black eyed peas are going nuts…

July 26 09 042 July 26 09 027

The broccoli is identifiable even if it's a little sick looking. This is the only plant of six that got anywhere near to being something someone could recognize.

July 26 09 005

Half the pole green beans are in trouble…

July 26 09 044

The other half of ‘em are going great guns.

July 26 09 037

The bush beans are going to the great bush bean garden in the sky tomorrow. No, that’s not quite right. They have gone more than 7/8’s of the way already. I’m going to put them out of their misery tomorrow and pull them up and take them to the compost pile. They looked worse than the poopy looking pole beans. I didn’t want to embarrass them by taking their picture in their last gasps of life. So you’ll have to take my word for it. There is no way to save them.

Zuccs are still coming on.

July 26 09 038

And the crook neck yellow squash is continuing to put forth squashlets.

July 26 09 036

July 26 09 006

And I’m going to have to figure out when to harvest the cabbage. Trust me, I will wash each cabbage leaf before I eat it because it got dosed with the squash bug-potato bug powder, too. According to the instructions you can powder all the veggies little butts until two days before you plan to harvest them, but I’m not putting any more insecticide on anything than I feel I really need to… I haven’t seen any sign of either bug so I haven’t dosed them again.

So that’s my Sunday stroll through the vegetable garden. I’m working on a flower show for your perusal in the next day or two. Stay tuned and we will tip-toe not through the tulips, it’s too far into the summer for that, but I will take you for a walk-about around the flowers that are going and growing now.

17 comments:

hetty said...

Thanks for the walk through the vegetable patch. It is not always possible to have everything you plant come up and flourish. That's what makes gardening such a challenging and interesting hobby. Nothing is predictable. I can't wait for a walk through your flower garden. Looking forward to that!

Laura ~Peach~ said...

its looking better than my garden... no rain... well water is just keeping it alive and keeping me misquito eatten each evening even after my bath in deet.... sigh

Staci said...

Helen, you are a master gardener to keep ANYTHING alive in the heat we've had!

Reddirt Woman said...

hetty- it is definitely fun being not predictable, that's for sure.

Laura I keep trying to send rain down your way and I take a benadryl every night at bedtime to keep from trying to scratch all where I itch in the night.

Staci I just keep pouring the water on... thank goodness we had a break in the heat last week. It's amazing how nice 90 F. feels after 103 F., 105 F., etc.

darsden said...

Helen, I think your garden is doing great! It sure beats mine anyway..since I don't have one. Pop, said I would get one...uhmmmm isn't it past the time now!

Sharon Rose said...

Those plants and veggies are lookin' good!

Reddirt Woman said...

Well Dar, you could check out winter gardening. I don't know what people grow way down south, but I bet you could grow things in the winter. If not maybe you could get a garden spot ready for the spring.

PS... we are so going to have black eyed peas, a lot of black eyed peas. Now I've got to encourage the okra to get it on... Fried okra, black eyed peas and fresh tomatoes... mmmmm, good.

blognut said...

May the bush beans rest in peace.

Maybe Pastor Sharon could lead us all in prayer?

Roslyn said...

Helen a farmer you may not be but I think you're a wannabe!
You really try & you gotta get extra credit for that! And for knowing when to give up on some of those stubborn veges!
My Dad never had much luck with brocc either- it seems to be a bit temperamental!

Caution/Lisa said...

Your failures are making me feel better about my dismal garden. I'm just glad that we are depending on our garden for our very survival. Don't those insecticides get you with their proclamations of safety? Some day, we'll probably see, "Our insecticide doubles as a multi-vitamin for you!"

Anonymous said...

It seems like the zucchini always does well - sometimes too well. I haven't gardened since we moved into this house 7 years ago - too much shade. I never was very good at it anyway.

Pearl said...

Oh, I shouldn't have looked at those photos before lunch! I absolutely love all vegetables.

Please tell me you'll be making zucchini bread! :-)

Pearl

Twisted Fencepost said...

Look at that corn! It looks great.
The corn I planted before Tipper's corn will be going to the sky soon so your beans will have company.
I planted my squash too close to the pumpkin and now I only have pumpkin.

Reddirt Woman said...

Blognut... Amen.

Yes Ros, I try hard to grow the veggies, as well as the flowers. I think if you ever stop exercising your brain it shrivels up so I keep trying to learn.

Caution, I've argued for years that the reason we have the super bugs that don't respond to antibiotics is because the generation after mine has been because of eating beef and chicken that has been loaded with the antibiotics. So you are probably right as far as the vitamin.

Kay, I'm about worn out now, so maybe I need to plant a tree this fall. A garden is a lot of work, but I do enjoy the trying of it.

Pearl I've never made zucc bread. I did get my niece's recipe for zucchini cake that I may try. The only bread I've ever made is gingerbread. I'm not a great cook unless it's something that I like.

Becky, you need to put up some photos of your garden.

Mary Ellen said...

If I win the lottery, I plan to fly you out to my new estate ('cause I'd buy one, first thing) and pay you exorbitant amounts of money to grow yummy vegetables for me. Then you and I could feast on gourmet meals, freshly prepared by my personal chef. While we lounged by my pool. Deal?

Tipper said...

Wow your corn looks great-especially the good day. The rest of your garden looks nice too. I'd say you're having a successful year.

Anonymous said...

Now the corn is getting as high as an elephant's eye, my friend...Yummmm I am a squash person, I'll take a basket home...
Glad you eradicated the potato buggies!!
Sorry to be tardy..been hot here in the 100's and I have been swamped out...