Wednesday, July 1, 2009

What I Have Been Up To...

In all this heat.

Garden is underway. If you click on the photo to "embiggen" it, as Laura says, it is a bit easier to see. Of course, I recognize that not all people are as blind as I am...

This photo the bushy plants are black-eyed peas. In back of them, the taller plants are zucchini. Please note that there is very little grass mixed in with them, thank you very much. I've been working on cleaning out the grass and the weeds from around the veggies. With the wet spring, all the weeds and grass almost got the better of me.



Yep, those are my dirty fingers you see... it's what happens when I pull weeds and grass. As you can see, I'm showing off baby yellow crook neck squash. And yes, there is some grass there, but not like it was even a week ago.









This is one of the zucchini plants. They are BIG this year. I'm either going to have to eat a lot of squash or freeze some because I think I'm going to have bumper crops this year.












Especially if I can keep pouring the water on... The zucchini plants are on the right edge of the picture. In the foreground are the bush green beans and where you see the sprinkler going are the pole green beans. The poles are from limbs out of the creek willows along the road that were cut back hard in the spring a year ago when the storms, both ice and thunderstorms, broke off part of the trees into the power lines and knocked out power for several hours. The power company cuts the trees under the lines back, but they don't cart off the branches so we trimmed the little limbs off and kept the long pieces to use around the place.








Here's a view from the other end of the row. The plant on the lower right part of the picture are some of the yellow crook neck squash plants.

















All the feathery stuff are asparagus plants. This was their second spring so next spring we will be able to lightly harvest some. The fourth year they say you can harvest heavier and then after that if cared for I should be able to enjoy asparagus for a long time.






Aren't these beautiful.












And this is the beginning of the corn experiment. This row are the ones I planted on the best day according to the zodiac planting signs. Tipper, over at Blind Pig And The Acorn, enlisted some of her readers to try out planting according to the signs. On June 23rd, which was deemed the best day of the month we planted half (10) of the seeds that Tipper shared with us. Then on the 26th which was deemed the worst for planting corn, we planted the other 10 kernels. I'll be posting pictures along so we can see if things really do better by the signs. So you all will probably be tired of 'corn' by the time this experiment is done.

All this is why I've been going outside early instead of going back to bed. With the 100 degree temps we've started having the only smart time to garden is early. I guess I'm getting smarter in my old age...

22 comments:

joanne said...

I can tell you've been working hard...dirty hands and NO WEEDS!!! I need you desperately to come here and help me get my garden in order!
Thanks for sharing Helen, I'm interested in seeing how the experiment works out...take care.

Caution/Lisa said...

My squash (two whole plants) perished at the end of the topsy turvy. Do I have time to replant?? You've got a big garden and lots of work there. Tipper's idea has really interested me and I am following her blog to hear the results. And those dirty fingers? The best kind.

Sharon Rose said...

Boy Helen,
You are working hard out there! Hey, I never knew what BUMPER CROP meant until I read this post! Thanks for sharing. . . .
Now, about the asparagus, are you saying that it is a perenial plant and grows back every year?
That is lovely! I love steamed asparagus with salt, pepper, butter and lemon juice. To me it is better with some crunch. . . However, being from the south, I have to really watch myself because I tend to cook everything to mush!

The Wildwood said...

You are such a worker and you are going to reap all the benifets of being a good farmer in the red dirt! You will have a great table of veggies to enjoy...I can't grow anything!

Tatersmama said...

It's all looking GOOD, and I can just taste those zucchinni's and beans! Mmmmmm!
I've been working at getting my garden pout to bed for the winter, so fingers crossed that I can end up with a garden like yours, next summer!

darsden said...

You have been working your butt off is what you have been up too. The garden is looking great Ms Green thumbs, I can't wait to find out about the corn and the dates too cool :-))

Nola said...

I loved that trip around your garden!!

GingerJar said...

Wow...We have weeds and no water. Oh, forgot, we also don't have a garden...yet...till next year. Praying God Drops a John Deer Tractor into our plan. I'm trying to be specific and have faith. If not I'd take any kinda old tractor and leave it up to Dave to overhaul it and make it work. LOL. Your Garden is looking great. Hope your summer is good. Just wait till canning time. Whew....hot in the kitchen!

Laura ~Peach~ said...

wonderful stuff!!! love the garden i have been spending alot of time trying to save mine from burning up its too hot and dry here!

Twisted Fencepost said...

The garden looks great! I've never seen asparagus growing before. Really neat. We don't eat it or I would try it too. Kinda like rhubarb, it's a beautiful plant, but we don't eat it. Maybe I could grow them just to admire the plants and then give away the harvest.
Your corn is up!!! I've got to go check mine.
Been extremely dry here. But yesterday we got a 5 minute downpour that dropped 1/4" of rain. You know, that rain with vitamin G?!

Robynn's Ravings said...

Looks like you're in for some good eatin' Ms. Helen! Your hard work is paying off.

Hey, thanks for stopping by and leaving me comments even in my absence. You're a good friend and encourager but, I knew that anyway. :)

Jack and Kernel said...

We want to come tear up your garden and dig some holes!!!

hetty said...

Thanks for the tour of your garden! Everything looks great. Your fingers attest to your hard work! And your soil really is red! Love those asparagus! We used to pick them along the side of the road where they grew wild. But that was over 50 years ago. I am looking forward to your corn experiment.

Mary Ellen said...

It's hard for me to imagine that you and I live in the same country. My garden couldn't be more different. Can you send us a little heat and sun????

It looks great - all your hard work is paying off.

Cindy said...

You are an ambitious gardner! I will be very interested to hear your experience with the asparagus. We love it, but have never attempted to grow it.

I was so happy when I arrived home tonight and we picked a big cucumber. It will be "mmmm good!"

Lonicera said...

You must be self-sufficient veg-wise, how wonderful. Corn on the cob would be my favourite, though I do love broccoli (or zuchini, or as children call it here "trees" - a much nicer name I think...)
Caroline

Tipper said...

Helen-your garden is looking great!! I just planted some asparagus this year-so I'll have a while to wait. Yours looks so big compared to my tiny ones.

Thank you for the corn update!!

Roslyn said...

OMG I am exhausted, all that gardening maybe you deserve a pedicure like Farmlady ,LOL!
I do love the rewards of all this "dirt/dirty work" but in the current temps, it's torture!
Up here on our CO. mtn it's much cooler & the "garden" is all the Master Gardener's work! I am not messing with His stuff!

Roslyn said...

OMG I am exhausted, all that gardening maybe you deserve a pedicure like Farmlady ,LOL!
I do love the rewards of all this "dirt/dirty work" but in the current temps, it's torture!
Up here on our CO. mtn it's much cooler & the "garden" is all the Master Gardener's work! I am not messing with His stuff!

Roslyn said...

OMG I am exhausted, all that gardening maybe you deserve a pedicure like Farmlady ,LOL!
I do love the rewards of all this "dirt/dirty work" but in the current temps, it's torture!
Up here on our CO. mtn it's much cooler & the "garden" is all the Master Gardener's work! I am not messing with His stuff!

Roslyn said...

OMG I am exhausted, all that gardening maybe you deserve a pedicure like Farmlady ,LOL!
I do love the rewards of all this "dirt/dirty work" but in the current temps, it's torture!
Up here on our CO. mtn it's much cooler & the "garden" is all the Master Gardener's work! I am not messing with His stuff!

Katidids said...

When you are through with your weeds...I have Quite a few! Your right with all the rain its hard heeping up with the weeds. Your garden looks great, I'll have to check back in on your experiment, that sounds interesting...Thanks for your words of encouragement!