Saturday, May 9, 2009

Thirteen Out Of Fourteen Days...

That's how many days we have had enough rain to measure in central Oklahoma. The weather man announced this little fact on the weather report this evening. I could have told him this fact... without all the expensive equipment they use to measure and track weather.

Step out my front door. If you see something like this it means it has rained. Whether it is a toad strangler (a whole bunch), a chunk floater (a modicum amount) or just a trace of rain, most of us can tell when it rains simply by looking out the front door.


We, as I've told you all, had a toad strangler on at least three days this past week. On Wednesday, my Bro Walter, drove me to Ft. Worth to get my new glasses. Five miles after we go on I-35, the tire on the driver's side rear blew out or blew up. Whichever you want to call it. This is what I saw when Bro got the car to the side of the road. Yes, it was a Firestone tire. With a 60,000 mile guarantee. With less than 20,000 miles on it. This will be addressed at the dealer next week.

But that isn't the point of this story.


This is...

If you live in the red dirt swamp and you've been gone all day the pups run out through the swamp to greet you and this happens.

Yes, those were black jeans and a coral golf shirt. Were is the operative word...

I love my babies and I, too, get excited when I see them and I sort of expect this welcome.









And another photo.

My darling and wonderful fur babies.


However....













When I went into my bedroom and was putting up some laundry that I had dried after the trip and while my back was turned...

I heard snorking.

Snorking is what I call it when the dogs roll and fuss around on the floor, out in the yard or on my bed... that I hadn't spread up... that the white sheets are on...







Click on the photos and you can really get a look at what an exuberant schnauzer snorking session looks like when accentuated with red wet fur. I just said, "Shit, Suess!". I knew it had to be SueSue.

She is infamous for snorking all over the bed. I normally spread up my bed, especially when it's been raining, because the dogs do get their feet wet and they do get on my bed.




The dark blue blanket has a couple of rips in it and I use it specifically because of the girls. But in my hurry to head south I hadn't made up the bed.

And, yes, that is my SueSue, looking all innocent.














"I don't know what your talking about mom."

Yep, check out the red fur.






"She knows exactly what you are talking about, mom."

Yep, that's my sweet Chloe. I don't know how she does it, but she can go out in this swamp and hardly even get her tootsies wet. And she will rat out the baby anytime it suits her fancy.

And according to the weatherman we are supposed to get more rain tonight and tomorrow, Mother's Day.

And you can bet I'll have on my working jeans and the bed will be made so I'll be prepared for any more gifts my girls give to me, for Mother's Day or any other time.

6 comments:

darsden said...

Oh, Helen...that was a major blow up for sure. ... but, sorry I couldn't help but laugh at you and the red dirt... those poor babies missed you bad.. OMG your bed... LOL and white sheets...oh my...those babies..were BAD!! LOL

Have a great Mothers Day xoxodar
Send that rain here

darsden said...

YES send all the rain... :-))

The Wildwood said...

Oh helen you are lucky that Walter was able to keep it on the road! That would have scared the dickens out of me!!!! I am glad you are safe!

I am sorry Helen if I lived in that Red Dirt I would have to shoot myself and then with schnauzers......no wonder you miss Bartlesville so much! I don't know how you keep their silver locks sparkling in that. POOR GIRLS! ;) That is the neat thing about Jackie the dirt and mud dosen't stick to her hair...gee what a novel idea, but the shedding is not so novel....

Staci said...

Well, it might not be fun for mom, but I'm betting the kids had a ball! Red mud and fur, a not-so-good combination....

Twisted Fencepost said...

I have come to the conclusion that as long as I live in the country, have kids and dogs...my house will not be clean. Picked up and cleaned regularly, but not sparkling clean. It is the life I choose, and I have come to terms with it. Just wish I could get rid of this carpet and put down hard floor.
Wow! What a blowout! I'm glad he kept everything under control.

Tatersmama said...

Holy Moley! That was some blow-out!! I'm just glad that you're okay. Sheesh, it must have been scary!

Now those dogs... Do you know that I actually MISS this kind of dirt and upheaval? I'm not meant to be a city girl at ALL... and I would rather paw prints and red dirt, than traffic and McDonalds wrappers blowing in the wind!