Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I'll Be Damned... It Worked!

Some things, I suppose, are never meant to be. I think my odds and ends post was one of those things. So here I am, back at the drawing board, to try again. Of course it won’t be nearly as smart or as fluid as my original post that got lost in the strange netherworld of locked up computer land, which I affectionately refer to as the Lost Continent of Assholiness with whatever descriptive words I may come up with at the time of visitation.

That being clarified… I think I got as many comments on that non-post as I’ve gotten on any number of posts that I have sweated my brain cells coming up with clever goodies to share with the blogsphere. And, believe me, I appreciate the sympathy and the giggles. I was going to just delete the post, but Hallie caught it and I decided to take my medicine with a grin. Now I am trying something new, at least to me. My friend Carol, or Missy, whichever comes first, said to try Word. That way I can work offline and save it to a folder, then transfer it to my blog whenever I want. I didn't even know I had a program called Word. Duh. We will see how this works out.

I have a confession to make. I am a tearer-outer. I find things in the newspaper or in magazine that I think are interesting and rather than keeping the entire magazine or newspaper I tear them out and put them in a stack., next to my chair, or next to my bed, wherever I happen to be when I’m reading. When the mood hits or I trip over the stack, I go through all my tear outs and decide whether they are worth keeping, or try to figure out what tidbit of information I pulled the dang thing out of the magazine or newspaper for in the first place.

Initially, what started this odds and ends post was some quotes out of the Astology column in the Dec. 31, 2008 edition of the Oklahoma Gazette. Since I am an Aquarian, I naturally had to check my horoscope, just to see what I was in for in 2009, just in case the astrologers are right.

The author of the column, Rob Brezsny, said that Aquarians should write out the quotes and keep them in a prominent place for the duration of 2009. According to him the will set the right tone for everything we Aquarians do in this year.

The first quote is from psychologist Abraham Maslow: “A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write if he is to be ultimately at peace with himself. What one can be, one must be”.

The second quote is from choreographer Agnes DeMille: “Dance in the body you have.”

The third is from historian Gerald Sorin: “When Reb Zusye went to heaven, God didn’t ask him why, in his life on earth, Zusye wasn’t Moses, but why he wasn’t even Zusye.”

Personally, I think we all could do well to keep this handy in 2009... And beyond.

15 comments:

darsden said...

LOL great post Helen..I get so upset when my stuff is just eaten and I didn't get to enjoy it.
I am being what I can be...LOL and trust me it's scary when all this is dancing..but I dance.. Have a great evening..go plow your field woman you are loosing your crops on the farm! (facebook) ;-)

Robynn's Ravings said...

Glad you found WORD and I know it's there (and use if for tons of other stuff) but NEVER use it FIRST for my blog writing, only to back up my blog. Don't you know I'm waiting for that day when Blogger takes EVERYthing and you have to visit me in the nuthouse? Try and spring me will ya? I know you be better able to fix me than they will. Good for you for doin' it right.

I really like the quotes. I'm gonna save them to my quote file. Very, very good stuff. Lots of wisdom. I used to be a tearer-outter but got over it. I cracked up when I got to the part where you said you had to try and figure out why you tore something out. I can't tell you how many times that's happened to me and sometimes I NEVER figure it out. Some remote connection with something, I guess, that only lasted for a nanosecond. Okay, on to a post I think I missed here.

Mary Ellen said...

That 'dance in the body you have' quote is going to become a favorite of mine. I love it.

I use Word to write my posts, and then I just copy and paste them. I learned this the hard way, too!

joanne said...

those are great quotes! shhhh! i'm a tearer-outer too and it's high time I go through the stack. Who knows maybe it will inspire a blog post for me too. Take care. Have you dried out yet??

Tina said...

I am so glad you went to the work to get all of the stuff you put in yesterday back in today.

I am an Aquarius too. It sounds like your guy is much better than the ones i read in the girly magazines my daughters sprinkle around the house!. I don't read the paper any more (now only online) and I don't really have any tear worthy magazines. At one time in my life i used to tear, organize and slip them into 3 ring binders (I think I was a frustrated stay at home mom!). I have one of those notebooks kicking around the house still-it has a home-dec section, recipes, parenting. Now I don't have time to read my online newspaper everyday much less tear and save. I am feeling kind of sad for my old tearing now...
Which brings me to the be who you were meant to be-goodness I have 'been' many people in my lifetime. How do we know which one is the real us? hmmmmm I'm flummoxed-Perhaps life is one big episode of whats my line or are we that person when we are them? or are bits of us sprinkled across the different phases and roles of our lives?

I aspire to your clever and ever interesting blogginess! You are the coolest!

Tina

Twisted Fencepost said...

Another thing we have in common. I am a tearer out too. Problem now is that since I've found blogging, I have no time for reading the paper stuff. So my magazines are piling up. They need someone to tear out their most interesting pages.
And the quotes...gives ya something to think about.
But right now I can't, cause there's this big buzzy bug flying around my room and it just landed in the corner I'm sitting in. All I can think about is what is that and does it sting.
Help!!!

Staci said...

Maybe us Aquarians just like words? And "food for thought"?

I've lost a few posts from my blog. I just noticed the other day that one I wrote on New Years Day is totally gone, and I don't know where it went. Must be in that Assholiness place!

Caution/Lisa said...

Add me to your tearing-out friends list. I usually can't find the articles after I tear them out though. I suspect that my husband is a thrower-outer.

Laura ~Peach~ said...

I dont necessiarly tear it out but I am a saver to read it later...and I have lots to catch up on....

Nola said...

I love "dance in the body you have" quote!
I tear out too...and keep magazines with the pages folded over for future reference...then I can't remember why I did it!!

Debbie said...

"Dance in the body you have" is going on my bathroom mirror.

I can see why you don't spend time at the "farm". You're doing much more creative things, as I should be. Thank you for the reminder, Helen :)

Tipper said...

Granny does the same thing-she saves all kinds of newspaper clippings and magazine pages-and they are taking over her house!! I hope the word thing works-very frustrating to loose a post.

Cindy said...

I'm glad to know I'm not the only tearer-outer!

Beth said...

I tear things out, too! I think there are support groups for than habit.

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

I caught it!! I caught it!! Yeah for me!! Ok, a little needy today. Just needed a reason to pat myself on the back.

Us Aquarians rock.

Hallie