Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day...

Thank you Rick, for this great doodle. If my mom was still alive she would laugh out loud at this one after raising six children.

Every one of her six were blessed to have her as our mom. She could soothe a skinned knee or a broken heart with a gentle touch and a sweet word. I know that she bound our family together with love and kindness. Every evening she cooked and put a meal on the table and we would eat and share our day.

Every morning she fixed our breakfast, getting us off to school with our tummies full and looking forward to another day of learning. When we came home from school there was always something to snack on to keep us from starving until suppertime.

Mom sewed a lot of our clothes, repaired tears in our clothes and sometimes our friend's clothes. Our next door neighbor's two kids, a girl and a boy, always knew that they could talk to mom if they had problems. or they could find a little snack if they were hungry.

I can remember when I was very small the hobos would sometimes show up to see if they could do any little chore for food. Mom would find something, whether it was to rake the back yard or pull weeds or whatever and she would go in and fix a plate of whatever she had around. Not a skimpy plate, either, but a good heaping plate full of food. The fellows would sit on the back steps to eat and would always hand back an empty plate, with grateful looks in their eyes and a "thank you for your kindness, ma'am" from their lips.

My mother was the most christian person I knew. She lived her life, every moment of every day, with the knowledge that whatever she faced, her Lord would sustain her. Mom's mother and father both passed and we saw her bear up under those losses, but when my oldest sister died, at twenty three years of age, is when mom was put to the ultimate test. You are not supposed to outlive your children, she'd occasionally say, but if she ever railed against God, as I did, she never, ever did it where anyone would see it. She carried such love in her heart that despite the great loss she still loved her Lord.

I think I would not be half the person I am today if not for my mom. And I think she knew that before she died. And I know she knew that she was much loved.

13 comments:

Robynn's Ravings said...

Helen, dear sweet Helen.......

I'm so glad you had the blessing of a mother like that. And what a gift you give her today not just in your honoring words but in the person you are. You are SO beautiful. YOU have your MOTHER's heart. When you describe her I see you. Is there any better gift for a Mother on this day than to know she has raised a child to be someone who will enrich the lives of others? Who will be a blessing? Who will give without asking and not in a martyred way but with a heart full of joy?

That's what I see when I read your work and see your comments to others and to me. Thank you for loving me and blessing me, Helen.

I wish you every, EVERY happiness today, on Mother's Day, and all days thereafter.

God bless you, my sister friend. You are LOVED.

Twisted Fencepost said...

Sweet tribute to the person who made you who you are!
And happy Mother's Day to you for mothering us all with your love and friendship.

hetty said...

A beautiful tribute to your mother!

farmlady said...

This is so lovely, Helen. You describe a woman who every child would want for a mother. So many don't have that unconditional love. Your Mom sounds like a woman that knew how important the job of raising a child was.That is a real gift and we were the beneficiaries of their love.

Tatersmama said...

Oh Helen... this was beautiful!
Oh, to know the joy of having our mothers with us gain, eh?

Happy Mothers Day, my friend!
May God continue to Bless you!

Lisa said...

What a touching post you have here. That is such a tribute to your wonderful mother. You are very blessed to have had her. My mother is a kind and generous person, but I did not have the same upbringing you did. Now that I am older we have become closer and are better friends. But it has been a VERY long time coming.

Laura ~Peach~ said...

sounds like a dream mom to me! you are truely blessed to have been hers! Happy mothers day...

Nola said...

If you are like your mother....then she must have been the nicest person on earth!!!

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Just catching up. Had to tell you I LOVED the muddy footprints and the snorking!!

Hallie :)

Aleta said...

Oh my.... what a beautiful tribute to your Mom. You brought tears to my eyes reading this...

joanne said...

That was a lovely post Helen...

Debbie said...

Oh Helen...this is beautiful and reminded me so much of my own Mom. She lost my Dad when I was 4 1/2 and my brother was 13 months. God was her strength and she did a wonderful job raising us alone.

This brought tears...wonderfully written.

Silver said...

Absolutely beautiful. Lovely lovely tribute to your mom.

wishing you a most blessed day too.

Smiles,
Silver