Tuesday, May 5, 2009

It's Raining, It's Pouring...

I've got the internet, for a moment... It has been raining for several days, off and on, though more on than off. I decided that if God ever decided to do another great flood to clean up our world, all He has to do is have it rain for a week or two and all the septic tanks and sewers back up and the smell kills you.

We have company that has been staying here with us for the last ten days and our septic got clogged up. On Saturday. Monday, bright and early, the plumber came out (he just lives down the road apiece from us) and he got the line unclogged. He went out to check the septic and said that as soon as the lines in the house drained out, the septic tank filled up to almost lippin' full because our ground is saturated and there not much drainage to be had.

So I loaded up Carol's clothes and my clothes and toted them to town and used a friend's washer to try to keep as little water running through our pipes as possible. Then I brought them back home and used our dryer to dry them. I can promise you that I had flashbacks to the days of going to the laundromats and it was not pleasant. How quickly we can forget to be thankful for little things like being able to do laundry at home...

Anyway... I do have a bunch of photos that I've been taking and as soon as I can get them to upload, I'll be sharing them with you. Right now Blogger is not answering the call on the internet to get them, so I don't even know if this will make it out to you all. In the meantime, I'll be checking my feet for webbing that might be growing between my toes, and practicing my backstroke motions, just in case.

I'll be back as soon as weather allows. Y'all try to stay dry.

13 comments:

darsden said...

Oh my still getting rain WoW! That would drive me crazy not having my internet! (I get down right...well bitchy, oh yes I do, bitchy worse when I can't get on line. You would think I was needing a drug fix..the way I act!)
Yes, I remember the laudrymat... I could not stand it..but it was easier than trying to do them and visit with somebody at the same time...took to long, least at the mat they were all done at the same time! But, carrying them to and fro.. wait..hell woman I still do that..chit..now I am bitchy! I don't have them at my place..too small but I can sluff then across the forty acres to mama's but she still makes me do them...dammit really bitchy now.!! ;-)

darsden said...

LOL I am doing laundry as we speak...so I am running back and forth...so I am also exercising..

Tatersmama said...

Ahhh... the old septic backing up and sinking the place up thing! That used to suck wienies!
I don't have to worry about it anymore, being on town water and sewage here and all... but I do miss those days.
In a mental kind of way.

(btw - they say sewer-age here and it drives me bonkers!

Cindy said...

Septic tanks always have problems when there are guests staying with you. Or, when you are expecting 20 people for a wedding shower in 1 hour and the bathtub in the guest bath fills up with sewage! This post reminded me of great septic tank times. And, not to forget, great laundry mat times. Thanks!

Nola said...

We had a septic in the last house we lived in and got the same problem when it rained.....
I really appreciate that side of living in a town now:)

Tina said...

Ack-We are looking for property so we can move out of city sewer land and back to a septic tank. I didn't think about back-ups. The last place we looked at is on a 100 year flood plane. I had better do more homework I think!

Tina

PerryOne said...

A septic that is working correctly is always full to the brim. That's how they work! The bacteria in our waste turns our toilet into water and gas in an air less environment - under water.
Second point. The drain field on a septic is designed for a specific number of people, and equals a total of 120 gallons of water per person per twenty four hours.
If you exceed this amount of water, it cannot be expected to cope.
So, when you have visitors, don't do the washing - try to minimise the amount of water you use.
Or extend your drain field to accept more water.
Perry.

Twisted Fencepost said...

That rain finally made it over here. And Charlotte really got it good. Flooding all over.

Mary Ellen said...

I had to go to the laundromat every week for 13 years. When I finally bought a house and got a washer and dryer, I practically sang as I did laundry.

Of course, the thrill is somewhat worn off, but whenever the basement floods and I have to make the trip to the Suds-o-mat, I remember how lucky I usually am!

Lisa said...

sorry you are having such a time. We are too. The rain just keeps comin' but come August we will be begging for it...as you very well know. I think we get a break today and get ready for more storms tomorrow. It has sure put a damper on my photo shoots.

hetty said...

We are getting some of that rain tomorrow. Good thing too! My garden is very dry. Haven't thought about septic tanks for a long time, or laudromats either for the matter. I feel spoiled.

Caution/Lisa said...

Couldn't you just have worn dirty clothing? It would take a lot to get me back to the laundromat. Such an annoying chore that one was.

farmlady said...

Ha.., fond memories of the LAUNDROMAT. I remember it well.

Hope the rain and guests don't cause anymore septic problems. We do need the rain water.
Quack, quack.., oops, I mean hang in there.