Wednesday, December 31, 2008

What Happens When...

They turn me loose in the kitchen...

I decided that I wanted to make one of my favorite cookies, Million Dollar Sugar Cookies.

Anytime I volunteer to cook anything, Missy just kind of raises her eyebrow and lets out a mostly quiet groan. I don't often do anything in the kitchen besides walk through and get something to drink, or do dishes or clean the stove or mop the floor.

I do cook a little bit once in a while, in fact last night I made a one skillet dinner called Mexican
Dinner (a real original name). It's also one of my favorites and is really easy.

But I wanted sugar cookies. When it comes to light weight stuff like flour and powdered sugar, I can sometimes get a little messy. A lot messy. I bought this mixer for Carol (Missy as I sometimes call her) last year for Christmas.

I, once again, don't usually do anything other than carry it to the table for her to use. In fact, I think today s the first time I've used it since we brought it home.

I mostly did okay with creaming the butter and sugar together, but then I added a cup of powdered sugar. Not being familiar with the speeds on the mixer, I turned it up too fast and, whoosh, the powdery stuff went flying.

No problem, slow it down and add more powdered sugar, right? Right. Then after the oil, vanilla, and eggs are all creamed in, I put the rest of the dry ingredients in a bowl and started mixing them in, nice and slow.

After adding about half of the flour, being the bright person I am in the kitchen, I decided that,
since it was thicker I needed to speed it up a bit. Whoosh, there it goes again. After that fog I just put it on nice and slow and left it there.

For those of you that haven't had enough of sugar cookies, or like me, can't get enough of sugar cookies, I will post the recipe on the next post.

The cookie dough is in the fridge right now. The recipe says it's easier to roll 'em into balls to smash if you put them in for a couple of hours, so when I do the next step and cook them so you can see the results, I'll share the recipe with you.

But I'm warning you now, these cookies are sooooo good they are bound to become favorites. If you need to lose 20 pounds like I do you may want to disregard my next post.

Just try, I triple dog dare you!!!

8 comments:

joanne said...

can't hanle the triple dog dare;)

Laura ~Peach~ said...

giggles.... I make bigger messes than you do!~

Twisted Fencepost said...

Half the fun of cooking, is making a mess. Right?
Happy New Year!

Nola said...

I would give you a run for your money in the mess stakes!! They sound nice:)

Michelle said...

I agree that you gotta make a mess sometimes. I am just happy when the cook does the clean up. Too often Shay would make something and then I had to clean up. She can dirty more dishes than anyone I know. Happy New Year!

Lisa said...

I LOVE sugar cookies. I make mine with sour cream and they are just wonderful. Ever heard of that? I will have to check back to see how you fix yours!!! And how did you get the mixer to tilt? I bought one like that for my dil and I could never figure out how to tilt it up to remove the bowl!!!! Silly me!

Tipper said...

If you don't make a mess-it doesn't taste as good! Thats what I say anyway!

GingerJar said...

I'm such a messy cook....

I cooked at my daughter-in-laws one time...and she told my son "Look your mom cooked and there is flour on the walls...gee .... I sure have missed the flour on my walls." (I hadn't been to their house to cook in a long time.) It's always been a joke at our house about me and flour. When I was a newlywed, I told my husband I was going to make cookies. I walked into the kitchen, and no lie, the flour cannister turned over and spilled flour everywhere...and I was in the doorway and nowhere near it. Grimlins I think.