Monday, July 7, 2008

It's a skunk thing...

I've been trying to think of a good description for my blog and, suddenly, it came to me... I like to play the "devil's advocate". All that means is that I enjoy offering alternative scenarios to different comments, theories and the like, and I especially enjoy doing this with my brothers, because they are mostly as weird as I am, and close friends that enjoy verbal sparring...

To clarify...one of our good friends lived in the country and there were periods of time, usually spring, when we would go to visit that we would see what seemed to be an unusual amount of road-kill, particularly possums and skunks, on the two laned, no shouldered country roads. Now, our friend (who is a retired art teacher) and I both have enjoyed skunk memorabilia and spirited conversations at times and we started discussing the abundance of carcasses on the road. I, of course, had to ask if she, or anyone else in the conversation, thought that where you ran over the skunk mattered as to how bad your car would smell after hitting one, i.e. if you ran over it's head would your vehicle get the full aromatic spray treatment, or if you ran over it's butt would it seal it's little blow hole before it had a chance to spray?.... Or.... if you were the 2nd or 3rd or 75th that hit it before the vultures had a chance to clean up the mess and you hit it a little further up on it's back, would you still be able to escape the pervading skunk odor. We continued with various aspects of this discussion, and we both managed to stretch it out to a number of other theories to the point that now, anytime I get into a discussion where I, or a brother or a friend, start to offer up other aspects for discussions or possibilities, my roommate (who is also a retired teacher) just shakes her head and states, "This is a skunk thing."

So if you've stopped by and see in my blog the statement "it's a skunk thing" you now will know that I'm referring to something that has been stretched out into the totally idiotic realm of possibility.... kind of like this blog.

Stay cool...

No comments: