Thursday, October 30, 2008

National Candy Corn Day...


October 30 has been designated as National Candy Corn Day. It is estimated that 20 million pounds are sold each year. Candy Corn is the number one Halloween candy treat in the U.S. and, I'm sure, beloved by the American Dental Association.

There have probably been more cars purchased by dentists financed by patients with a fondness for candy corn. I, myself, have been known to be anxiously awaiting October for the seasonal candy to come out because I was introduced to caramel candy corn.

I never really cared for candy corn, much to the delight of my parents, so that was never a source of income for my dentist, but 2 years ago I met caramel candy corn and I think I've made up for all that I didn't eat as a youngster. It is flat sinful. I go into a store and I am drawn by the sirens song to the candy corn display in search of caramel candy corn and it's like an out of body experience, I see my hand reach for the package and am powerless to stop myself.


I don't think I've ever, ever been this compulsive in my life, except maybe when I smoked. I know that with the end of October all will go back to normal because my supplier of caramel candy corn will slink back into the depths of their warehouses and count their loot, a good portion of which was provided by yours truly.

However hard it may be, I will have to let go of my beloved caramel candy corn and suffer the withdrawal symptoms, crying and cursing at the insidious sadistic mind that came up with this take off on the traditional candy corn and that has left me trembling and writhing in the pain of knowing that I will have to wait for 11 months to get my fix. And the whole process of the agony and the ecstascy will begin again.

Any and all help with coping with my withdrawal is not only welcomed, it is begged for from anyone who has a suggestion for easing the pain...

5 comments:

Laura ~Peach~ said...

hummmmm will have to try it... i am not a big candy corn fan but one of those trick or treat size baggies satisfies me ...till the next year.

Twisted Fencepost said...

Can't help ya there. I have my own demons to battle. If ya get any good battling techniques...let me know!

joanne said...

sorry...i'll be no help at all. Caramel candy corn is the work of the devil...didn't you know that!! Happy Halloween...

Nola said...

I have never tasted it...but it sounds nice:) Unfortunately I still smoke...so I am not one to be giving advice on how to kick an addiction!!!

kimmy said...

YUMMY! I love me some candy corn!!!! Good thing it is only around once a year though!

Kimmy