Monday, July 30, 2012

I Have A Confession...

I am an Olympics junkie.  There.  I no longer have to hide my shame about being an addict.  For as long as there have been Olympics televised I have been in front of a t.v. screen as often as possible.  When I had my own businesses, custom picture framing shops, I always had a television in my work room and it was on so anytime I was working on cutting mats or making frames I could keep an eye on what was going on with "The Games".

While my overall favorites are the winter sports and games I'm just as bad about being glued to the tube for the summer games.  Realistically I know more about the summer sports than the winter sports as I have played or been exposed to those sports all my life.  The closest I've ever gotten to the winter sports are watching them on t.v. except for ice skating one time in my life.  We have maybe one or two 'good' snows a winter in Oklahoma so I've never skied and snowboarding wasn't even a figment of anyone's imagination when I first fell in love with winter sports.  I have dreamed of ski jumping which is kind of crazy since I've never even been on a pair of skis.  I love the idea of the flight after the take off.  Ski jumping would have to be my favorite winter sport to watch.

In the summer games I have played tennis, table tennis, basketball, volley ball (not beach volleyball... no beaches in Oklahoma), swimming, springboard diving, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera, but I am totally fascinated with a summer sport I've never done...rowing, specifically sculling.  There is, to me, such a beauty in that sport, whether it be singles, doubles, or the big boats of eight.  The overhead shots of the rowers pulling the boats through the water makes me think of the lightness of waterbugs skittering delicately across the surface of the water.

I always thought sculling would just be a dream, like ski jumping, that I would only realize while playing in my mind but there is now, in Oklahoma City, a world class rowing center that was built as part of the downtown  revitalization program.  There are Olympic class rowers in London now that have trained in Okla. City and there have been competitive races on the Oklahoma River, a mile long waterway developed for rowing.  I haven't yet been to the aquatic center but hopefully this fall I can go and, perhaps, realize this one dream.

GO USA!

10 comments:

joanne said...

you must go to the aquatic center and check out all the possibilities...it's never to late to dream right? I've been watching too but am rather disappointed with the coverage..gah. Looking forward to the 'outside' events but I'll watch most anything...almost! take care and dream on Helen!

Sara said...

I couldn't take my eyes off the TV the other day when they showed those rowers. You're right about the views from above - very beautiful to watch!

Welcome back Helen. Missed hearing from you!!

farmlady said...

I love the Olympics too. I'm suppose to get up early and drive to Tahoe tomorrow morning, but the coverage of the Olympics is on until midnight. What a dilemma! I have to MISS SOMETHING tonight and go to bed early.
I understand your obsession completely.

Roslyn said...

Ha I have only seen it while I am on the eliptical at the gym as I am not a TV watcher so I forget to turn it on! I saw some of the sculling today & it is beautiful & looks so effortless. Saw tennis yesterday too.
Love the swimming, our sons were on swim teams from age 5-6 through HS, & the diving is magical how do they do that?

hetty said...

Hey! You're back! I am watching the games every minute I can. Yesterday we had a day of torrential downpours and thunder storms, so I got lots of time to view the entire day. Thank goodness the power didn't go off. I loved it!

Lonicera said...

I like the water ones best, particularly the diving. The medals table leaves me cold though. I can imagine you glued to the box with the remote in one hand and that Texan mix made by Carol in the other!!
Caroline

Debbie said...

Hi there lady!

I agree about the rowing..and I love watching the Olympics too, although I have not one ounce of athleticism in my body.

My son LOVES all sports so I've loved them too.

Summer games are my favorite however, I'm a fan of the ski jump. When we were stationed in Germany we traveled through Innsbruck we stopped and actually climbed up to the top of the ski jump and "imagined". It was not being used, but it was neat!

We visited Munich as well as saw the sights there.

You should go to the Aquatics Center woman!! Have you watched the rowing in the OK River? Hopefully you will!

xoxoxoxox

harada57 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

شركة مكافحة النمل الابيض بالاحساء

شركة مكافحة النمل الأبيض بالاحساء

افضل شركة مكافحة النمل الابيض بالاحساء

اقوي شركة مكافحة النمل الابيض بالاحساء

شركة مكافحة النمل بالاحساء

شركة مكافحة النمل الابيض داخل الاحساء

Ufa88kh said...

Blogs are the best, most useful way to save.
I can share ideas of the future because this is exactly what I am looking for,
wordpress
blogspot
youtube
ភ្នាល់បាល់​ អនឡាញ