Friday, October 29, 2010

It's Official...

It is fall in Oklahoma... We had to turn on the heat this morning because it was about 58 degrees here in the trailer... It got cold enough for frost on the ground last night and this morning when I took the dogs out for their morning constitutional I could see my breath. I did have the foresight to put on a long-sleeved fleece jacket on over my t-shirt and a pair of sweatpants, but I will have to admit to no socks on my feet and just slipping on my Crocs... Needless to say after a 10 minute walk I was ready to crawl back in under the covers.

While the official first day of fall was Sept. 22, in Oklahoma we rarely see any crisp fall mornings until late October... usually around Halloween. Speaking of Halloween, I always make sure to check out Rick's blog, Organized Doodles blog for the latest "share if you dare" that he so kindly offers up to all us bloggers, or anybody else, to 'steal' and put on our blogs... and here it is...



But back to my 'officially fall' statement... Carol cooked up a big pot of brown beans and about 4 o'clock this afternoon turned on the oven to cook meat loaf and I had to turn on the air conditioner. It was almost 80 degrees F. in the house. It was a beautiful 70 F. outside but when the west sun hits the trailer and the oven is on... it gets too warm for this old gal and her hot flashes... so the standing joke in Okie Land is when you have to turn on both the heat and a/c in one day it's either fall or spring and since it's almost November even I figured out it's fall.

Anyway, Happy Fall y'all!!!

Oh, and please pray for or light a candle for or send good wishes out for my favorite baseballers, the Texas Rangers... Finally after 50 years they made it to the World Series and so far they are playing like a high school baseball team. They are headed back home for their game Saturday against the San Francisco Giants after getting thumped bad in the first two games but all of us Ranger fans know how to hope for miracles so maybe things will turn around.

6 comments:

joanne said...

Happy Fall Helen!
Sorry, I'm no Rangers fan but I do hope they pick up the pace a little and make a seven game series out of it!! It's a long dark ride until spring without the baseball!

Debbie said...

Having a hard time with temp in my house too. The ups and downs of this weather are confusing my body. One minute it's cold and the next minute, I'm looking for shorts.

Hoping we have a mild winter. I used to love baseball years ago, but now football, so Go Rangers!!

farmlady said...

Someones prayers must have worked tonight. The Rangers won. That pitcher in the ninth inning was awesome. But... the Giant's are going to win. Sorry. That's just how it is. Ta da!

Sara said...

It's official here too. Snow on Wednesday and 60 degrees again on Friday. Fall in South Dakota!

And your Rangers did great in game 3. Now for game 4 tonight . . .

Rick said...

Thanks for posting he doodle, and for the link Helen. I trust that you had a happy Halloween. I live in Gaint's territory, but I have a hard time cheering for anything from San Fran. So, with Marylynn being from Dallas we're still pulling for the Rangers.

Reddirt Woman said...

JoJo I knew it was a long shot, since it's their first time EVER getting to the World Series. Maybe next year...

Debbie the hardest time of year for me is fall and spring as far as getting dressed. Do we put up the spring and summer clothes and get out the winter, etc.? It's even worse when I run down to Ft. Worth for a weekend or a couple of days or whatever. I end up packing a big bag in case it warms up/cools down and you'd think I was moving in... I guess I could have worse things to gripe about, all in all. And Boomer Sooner and go Cowboys on the football front.

Connie at least they won ONE. My secret prayer was for them not to get swept... After watching the Giants in the first two games my hopes changed from winning to don't get swept... There's always next year... hope springs eternal!

Sara at least there was only frost on the pumpkin down here. It's 74 F. as I'm writing this but each night it has dropped into the 40's with regularity now. We will hope for a mild winter.

Rick thank you for sharing for us. I have my own goblins chasing around in my head but I did manage to cop some of my decadent passion, caramel candy corn, to snack on while keeping the pups calm every time the dang doorbell rang... The worst two holidays in my house are Halloween and 4th of July but we manage to hang tough together... There's a wedding coming up in your future. I know it will be beautiful. Thanks to you and Marylynn for rooting... like I said, maybe next year.